- River Category:
- Class III & IV whitewater
- $99 per person
- Matanuska Glacier Area, Matanuska Valley
- June 1,- Aug 31, 2016
- Age limit:
- Ages 12 and Up
- Start time:
- 9:30 AM or 2 PM
- Departs From:
- Hicks Creek facility, 38100 W Glenn Highway, Glacier View, AK
- 3½ to 4 hours
- Military or Groups (10+) receive a 10% Discount
Our Most Popular Tour
LionHead is our first and still our most popular whitewater rafting adventure! Since 1975, this thrilling trip is perfect for everyone from first-timers to experienced river runners. Located 2 hours north of Anchorage, this raft trip puts in at Caribou Creek and then merges with the South Fork of the Matanuska River. Consisting of Class III and Class IV whitewater, the South Fork travels parallel to the Matanuska Glacier. The highlight of this trip are the several miles of Class IV rapids that result from a squeeze of water between the glacial lateral moraine and “Lion Head,” a massive basalt rock wall. It finishes up with plenty of scenic vistas and intermittent Class II and III water.
We offer several options for running this river trip: Oar rafts, paddle-assist and full paddle rafting. View paddler information for details.
We can also modify the trip experience by using larger or smaller rafts depending on water levels and guest wishes (easy or challenging).
Moderate to Challenging – view classifications
- No experience necessary.
- Whitewater fun for all ages (12 yrs +)
- Roll-a-coaster style waves and holes
- A chance downstream to try the oars or "ride the bull"
- Great trip for team-building.
- Full paddle-rafting or paddle-assist options available
- Add a glacier adventure and save $20 (same or different day). See our Combo Specials