know before you go
- Before embarking on any kind of wilderness journey in Alaska be sure an understand the gamut of what can happen and be prepared.
- In the river segment, consider taking two craft minimum, particularly if there's whitewater.
- Understand proper wildlife etiquette.
- Keep bomb-proof fire starting paraphernalia on you.
- Understand and practice "Low Impact Camping" techniques.
- File a trip plan with someone not on the trip.
- Understand "hypothermia" signs, symptoms, treatment and prevention.
- Have a least one or more participants knowledgeable about how to deal with medical emergencies. Build a first-aid kit around their
abilities, or buy a professionally made one like "Adventure Medical Kits" through Northwest River Supplies
- Bring a "Personal Location Transmitter" or an aircraft hand held radio. These are rentable in Anchorage. Try "Eagle Enterprises"
at 907-562-2331. Satellite phones are available for rent at many dealers in Anchorage.